Monday 2 March 2009

Sunday 1st March - A clear night for once!

But unfortunately I was not able to do much observing. This was really the best night for a long time, but I had to prepare for my talk tonight. I did get out for a while to observe Comet Lulin, with binos and the Borg - a nice little comet ! Also took in the favourites - M45, M42, and Saturn. Was pleased to see some indication of the rings with the Borg at low power (17mm Hyperion, magnification of about 30x). This Hyperion eyepiece is really nice, and is now my favourite for viewing with the Borg 76ED.

Also managed a few shots of Lulin with the Canon. The comet is visible in the raw frames, but will need to do some processing... not sure when I will get the time to do that.

2 comments:

  1. Glad you got to do some observing - that is a nice setup the Borg 76ED and Hyperion eyepiece. A good observing buddy and I did a minimum aperture night a few years back with his 76ED on a simple camera tripod and knocked out a bunch of Caldwell's - fun night and great views for the aperture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mostly I use a camera tripod with the Borg, for low power viewing its just fine, though i guess I could improve the balance if I tried hard.

    I have seen the Veil with the 76ED and a Lumicon OIII filter, so its amazing what you can see with such a small scope.

    ReplyDelete